Well, I'm back from the infamous SDCC in one piece. I haven't been there in five years because I hated the madness of it. However, I had a wonderful time far better than expected. Nothing but smiles and drunkenness all weekend long. Good to go, I says! Anyhow, here's a nice little recap of everything you need to know about my dumb ass over the weekend.
- Nick Runge [link]
and I drove from Denver to San Diego so he could bring his giant ass paintings (which was a good idea since he sold his most expensive one). Long drive, but the hours fly by in a car occupied with two people hopped up on coffee and trading barbs in our best Conan voices. We only stopped for gas and rusty trumpets, so we made outstanding time.
- While we were getting my truck unloaded and valeted, a group of studs walk up and one of them was my all-important boss, Chirs Ryall. Luckily he was juiced and already to buy artwork from me. Good shit! And just so you know, he is the best man working in this industry. I mean that with all sincerity. Not to mention that he put me up at the nicest fucking hotel I've ever stayed at. IDW is such a wonderful company and I hope I work the rest of my career with them. I'll get into that in a future post
- The first day of the con was wonderful. Took pictures with stars from my favorite TV show and then jumped head first into my signing at the IDW booth. Joe Hill and I got our asses kicked signing and sketching, but the fans were nothing short of delightful. Joe is much better at interacting (genuinely) with his fans than any writer I've ever met. People loved our book and the line had to be closed down in under five minutes.
- I spent the rest of the day schmoozing, and doing an Archaia panel with my buddy Mike Kennedy. Nice, relaxing and entertaining day.
That was a first for me at SDCC. That night Nick and I got shit housed with my favorite Italian, Matteo Scalera [link]
. And I met an enormously huge fat man that was sweating profusely.
- The next day I had another bad ass signing with Joe Hill. This time I concentrated on promoting my new series WILD BLUE YONDER. People seemed genuinely excited; which was a severe relief to me. please check out our Kickstarter page and either donate or spread the word. I promise that you won't regret it this book is going to be the best of my career. I'm going to break people in half with it. [link]
- I then did the IDW Show panel to do more promoting of my new series through them (still WBY). I made a few high level dick jokes and closed the show nicely. Chris Ryall and Dirk Wood did a wonderfully creative job at that panel. This panel was far from the usual self-indulgent droll.
- After more schmoozing and a lovely dinner, Nick and I decided to relax and just watch prison shows. We went to bed early to get a good night of sleep.
- Saturday was my "day off". I spent it doing sketches and whatnots for IDW staff and the passing fans. Later that day I met up with my producer (and on again, off again lover) Austin Harrison. He and his lovely girlfriend took me out for some grub at an amazing expensive, but unbelievably tasty grub. The beer started to flow and Nick and I got a good buzz going for what was coming
- Now I barely go to functions or parties or any shit like that, but I got invited to the Playboy/TrueBlood party that night. I'm old and married and was going to pass, but I forgot that my buddy Nick is young and single and was bursting at the seams to go. So we went, and I'm very happy we did. Mostly just so I can say I experienced it. It was the most Hollywood experience I've ever had. Absolute insanity. Beautiful half naked dancers giving us top shelf tequila all night long. Music, booze, and even the nicest fucking porto-poti (I have no clue how to spell that) I've ever used. Hell, it was nicer than the bathroom in my own house. Anyhow, Nick and I got super juiced and went home to throw up for a bit before crashing. Nothing but smiles pasted on our faces. When in Rome, I suppose
- Next day I have a Level 4 hangover. We stumbled to the con so Nick could sell his painting the morning, but I felt so unbelievably horrible, I slept on the concrete next to his table. When I woke up I felt like a new man.
- So I made my way back to IDW and did sketches for everyone. The Cape HC sold out and they gave me the fucking huge vinyl poster advertisement of my Judge Dredd cover. Coolest shit I've ever seen. I spent the rest of the day schmoozing, pack up the truck and headed home.
- My only regret the entire weekend was that my buddy Sean Murphy and I didn't get to hang much. We seldom get to see each other now of days it seems. We both work for different camps and get pulled in different directions at night. However, we did get to chat a couple times which was good to go. If for some odd reason you don't know, check out his new series PUNK ROCK JESUS. It's finally out and it's fucking great! If he isn't your favorite illustrator, you suck and should be destroyed.
That about wraps it up. Thanks to IDW, I had a wonderful trip, signed a ton of books, and promoted my new series WILD BLUE YONDER. I hope you guys had a great weekend with whatever you found yourselves doing. Unless it involved putting on skinny jeans. In that case, get fucked!